Ways to Help
Following the January 2010 earthquake, many groups rushed to Haiti’s aide. The rush ended some time ago as the needs for Haiti moved from relief to recovery to reconstruction. We no longer hear about Haiti in the headlines; but Haiti still needs our help. Here are some of the ways you can still help:
Interested in joining our advocacy efforts? Let us know, or learn more about our advocacy work.
The people of Haiti still need our prayers.
"This is the confidence we have in approaching God: that if we ask anything according to his will, he hears us. And if we know that he hears us - whatever we ask - we know that we have what we asked of him" (1 John 5:14-15).
Join us on one of our service opportunities to Haiti.
Your financial gift will help us finance a variety of projects to improve the lives of Haitians. People are always asking how we can help in Haiti. Below are several of the project initiatives we are trying to fund through churches in Lambi Village in Gresslier, Haiti.
This first set of items is to assist the women at Lambi to become economically empowered. Over the past 1 1/2 years groups have traveled to Haiti and provided donations. The items or funds provided are not normally equally disbursed and we have found that many of them were sold to provide food for families. A local Haitian woman who is a trained entrepreneurial professional is working in Lambi Village training people on how to start their own businesses. So for instance, when we take over a bag of men's shoes or clothes, she chooses someone in the program to receive these goods and works directly with them to setup in the marketplace, to sell their goods, to handle a budget and shows them how to save. This is empowerment and it makes me think about that old Chinese proverbs: Give a man a fish.
Economic Empowerment Projects (donations to shipped to Haiti):
- Beauty Supplies for Beauty Shop (Black Hair Care Products and Supplies [black hair care magazines, professional, hair dryers, ceramic curling irons, blow dryers & diffusers, rollers, rods, etc.)
- Manicure and Pedicure Supplies (tools, lotions, nail polish, polish removers, scrub brushes and etc.)
- New or Slightly used clothing for Men, Women and Children all sizes for tropical weather (mostly cotton)
- Slightly Used or new shoes for Men, Women and Children (all sizes)
- Toiletries (sanitary napkins and tampons, lotions, soaps, perfumes,
- Linens (towels, wash clothes, sheet sets, light weight cotton blankets, pillows for bed or decorative, etc)
- Craft supplies such as knitting, looping, and anything you can think of that is creative to make and to sell (send books or instructions)
Provide Electricity for a Home: To continue to bring electricity into the neighborhoods is $3,100:
- $600 for each junction box
- $1800 for Installation and purchase of 3 Junction boxes at $600 each for 3 groups of 6 duplex units (or 18 homes)
- $1200 for Installation and purchase of meters for the homes
Water: To provide clean water to the village which is now using a well that sometimes becomes contaminated from runoff?
- One - 800 gallon tank reservoir at $1600; or,
- Two - 800 gallon tank reservoirs at $3,200
- A water treatment system cost $4,900
Fund a Bathroom(s) for a Home: There are two common latrine areas in the village, over time these units have become unsanitary. Our goal is to provide bathing and toilet facilities for each home at $2000, there are 50 homes in the village.
Housing: Lambi Village has 83 families (approximately 498 men, women and children). To date, approximately fifty (50) homes have been completed which means that thirty-three (33) families remain in tents. The following is a cost to complete housing units:
- $ 8,000 - Single home
- $16,000 - Duplex
PLEASE MAKE YOUR TAX DEDUCTIBLE DONATIONS ONLINE BY CHOOSING THE DONATE BUTTON OR MAIL A CHECK OR MONEY ORDER TO: Lott Carey Foreign Mission, 220 Eye Street, NE, Suite 220, Washington, D.C. 20002
USE THE SHIPPING INSTRUCTIONS ARE ATTACHED BELOW FOR DRESS/CLOTHING DONATIONS. PLEASE CONTACT KREID@AABMC.ORG FOR MATERIAL DONATIONS TO LAMBI VILLAGE.